Saturday, January 22, 2011

They called us the Santa Ladies

Way back at the start of this journey, my friend and I were just trying to find a craft project for another friend's Christmas craft show.  I had always painted and worked on different craft projects but my friend and partner was looking for something she could do as well.  Whenever I suggested painting she refused, couldn't do it.  So I was surprised when she agreed to help me sculpt Santas out of Celluclay a commercial  papier mache product.

We took orders on one of our first Santas at our daughters soccer games.  As I recall the santas were on light bulbs and each of the bags had a soccer ball prominently featured.  I think all told we made more than 20 of those little santas.  During the beginning of all this my partner had refused to do the painting so I had agreed to paint all the santas she sculpted.  But when I told her one day that the santas really came to life when you were painting them, specifically painting the eyes, she reluctantly agreed to give it a try.  She was so good at sculpting right from the beginning and she became an excellent painter as well.

Sometimes you just don't know what you can do until you try.


3 comments:

  1. Hi, Faye, what a great story! My thoughts and prayers are for you and your friend to have fabulous success with your new venture.
    hugs
    steph

    ReplyDelete